Search This Blog

Thursday, December 2, 2010

From "Sunil" to "Pandey Ji"

While in childhood people use to call me with many names starting from sunil to chhotu to raju to many more i could not count even.But as soon as i reached to a level of maturity at teenage, while being in my school, "SUNIL" was the only predominant one.
All teachers , my friends, neighbors everybody used to call me by my auspicious name only. But dont know how,things started changing suddenly. I remember all my friends switched to "PANDEY" , instead of calling "SUNIL". Specially while abusing like "Sale Pandey itna late kyon ata hai?" , "Ye sala Pandey ka hi kiya hua hoga!!" . I don't know why such switch happens ,its a social mentality of men or what? Or its a tradition to call by surname. Anyways i had no qualms over being called "PANDEY". Notice I just talked of mentality of man only not of other better half. Calling here ladies as better is obvious as they continued to call me in a civilized manner by using my proper name "SUNIL" even in the case when they are about to dump,ditch or shout on me. :) At least for this thing i admire them, I accept. Ladies do maintain the dignity of everything around them including there language and tone. And regarding elders and teachers most of them were still used to call by Name only but there were some who cant resist their manly behavior and called me PANDEY,PANDIT,PADEY even. Then with time my proper surname was even twisted and experimented by boys many times in higher schooling and in college.
Some fine examples are PANDU, PANDA , Pandya , Pandit and many mores. While being in hostel i was famous as "PANDEY" only. One change I noticed then was with the ladies , some of them used to take my surname but again with some shade of dignity like Mr.Pandey or taking full name "Sunil Pandey".
Then it was a drastic change when i entered in Corporate world. Till now it was OK when people called me "Pandey" but now an additional 'JI' was added. "Pandey Ji" It seems like someone very old , uncle types is been called and even people older then me used to call me by same name. I felt respected when some juniors used to call me by that way but when anybody double of your age call you like this, you can either feel super much respected or feel very awkward and with me it was a mixed kind of feeling. Thanks to some of my collegaues who gave me some relaxation by calling me some of my other chosen pet name like "BABA" and all. Cases were like that all serving staff of my office even from pantry to watchman, used to say "Pandey ji" or Pandey. Even the Pan shop man everyday greeted me from far away shouting in front of everybody "Pandey ji Pranam" while i was visiting office every morning. Huhh!!
Anyways i hope in coming future i will (with my efforts) regain my Auspacious name "SUNIL" , when everybody know me by my name not by title.

P.S:- There is a serial on SAB TV "Office Office" which contributed much for the same. There is a character Pandey who enforce everybody to use "Ji"  after Pandey as a token of respect.. This character in this Serial also popularized this "Pandey" or better say "Pandey Ji" concept

14 comments:

  1. Pandey Ji sounds like a Government servant's name... chewing pan, legs on table and talking to 'Sharma Ji' and 'Verma Ji' across tables at full volume ;) ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha Ha Ha.... I will be happiest person if i get that kind of comfortable job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Calling "Pandey/Pandey Ji/Paade" shows some attachment of the person with you, If someone is angry with you OR you have a fight with him/her, He/She would definitely call you by your name "Sunil".................

    ReplyDelete
  4. OK.. So if a lady calls me Pandey or Pandeyji or Paade then may i consider her attached to me??

    ReplyDelete
  5. mast hai pade..carry on..bus koi pandey ji na bole ye to over ho jata hai..n oye tanya jo tune kaha wo sahi nahi hai..aisa mat bol mere pandu ko

    ReplyDelete
  6. There is even one bhojpuri film on "Pandit ji batayee naa..." starring Manoj Tiwari which popularises this "Pandey" concept.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Manas have you watched that movie?
    "Pandit ji batayee naa kab hoyi biyaah hamar"
    Anyways "Pandey" doesn't need to be popularised by any such medium...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Haven't watched yet nor any plans...:) But I have seen various posters at Alld and its satellite ciies itself... Your other nickname "Pandit Ji" does get popularised by it anyhow.

    Also, as far I can recall, DJ used to refer you as Paaan'e frequently.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ok...Ok.. but even "Panditji" is not popular coz of that movie but i am really the pundit of all fields.... partially atleast!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yeah... your famous one liner... I'm JACK of all trades, but MASTER of NONE !!

    ReplyDelete
  11. With the changing time , place and people tihngs are changing with me manas. Its now "Jack of some trades and master of few!!"

    ReplyDelete
  12. Back to Square one
    Before coming to Mumbai I was knowing only one pandey ie "chulbul pandey" from Dabaang, after spending 5 months in Mumbai I know one more pandey ie "Sunil Pandey". Before reading this blog I always used to call Sunil by the name "Pandey" and never understood the importance of first name and sir name. Today I take the oath on 15 mar 2011 that I would be addressing "Pandey" by "Sunil" because "a stitch in time might save Sunil's name".
    Enjoyed reading your blog .
    Great going :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Srikanth I am fine with your calling Pandey... Anywaz do read other blogs of mine too and enjoy...

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Do not copy my stuff...