Search This Blog

Friday, December 5, 2014

Me and My Grandpa!!

It was my summer vacation and I had gone to my Grandpa's Home. (Our paternal home)
It is a big farm house kind of place where we have our own farmland, Mango gardens which use to have its own smell of mango, tamarind plants with lots of tamarind fallen besides each tree, and then there were trees of berries and all. And fields have crops like rice wheat and pulses.It had been a day and suddenly next day early in the morning I saw my grandpa was suggesting each and everyone like me (cousins and other relatives) of what work they have to do. Some have to ranch the cattle and let them graze, some had to clean the front area of farmhouse by removing all small and big stones, then clean it using home made broom.
So the basic agenda of my grandpa used to be that no one should sit at home without any work.It was like one has to work in their own home to earn the bread. I can still remember the pure and fresh air and I was taking the calf with me to graze and it was my first time. I was kinda loving it till the time calf jumped on my feet and injured my feet with its hoof. Blood spurted out from my legs. And i was further free of all work but after getting a scolding that I can't even do a small piece of work. Even after being injured I was kind of happy being relieved of all work. And then suddenly my grandpa saw me sitting idle and he came and started asking me about my studies and how are they going. To his expectation I passed all his small tests that he took in English, Maths and Science. But then came the Sanskrit where he was master and I had learnt little bit whatever I read in school. And then he made me do lot of exercises in Sanskrit without even asking whether it was applicable to my grade of boy or not. He had made me learnt many verses, shlokas and mantras. Soon he had made me learnt lot of grammar just by spotting my mistake. I was unaware of these things as I had never read them in school. But after so many scoldings and beatings he had made me learn the basics and learn it very strongly. Things like Roops and all that I used to mug up , suddenly came to me naturally. I could just say roop of any word merely after knowing its name. Nothing else was required. And when I was back in my school, I saw that I was so strong in Sanskrit that I was able to complete whole book in one go including the grammar one. I can talk to teacher in sanskrit and soon school people started thinking me as a prodigy in Sanskrit which according to my grandpa was too bad. :)
Next I can remember my grandpa taking me to the rice field of ours where the rice was just being sown and field being leveled. It had rained and the water in the field was reaching till my feet. Even then he gave me the seeds and asked to sow them in a straight query, next level them properly. And next he has asked me to plough some land, axe down some logs and what not.
He was renowned for his mastery in all kind of pujas and almanc related predictions in nearby towns and villages. People from distant area used to come to him for seeking his advice on some or the other things.
So there are many memories of mine which were associated with him. And few week back he passed away. I was very lucky enough to meet him just before his demise. He had lost his speaking capability partially and was suffering from dementia. Even then he recognized me and wanted to ask me many things and tell lot of things...
May his soul rest in peace.

2 comments:

  1. Very nostalgic and beautiful collection of memories !!

    I can see that your Grandpa was indeed a great teacher and a great human being who always thought of welfare of others....

    May his soul rest in peace....

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Do not copy my stuff...